Monday 7 June 2010

"Some labels are best left in the closet."


Sex and the City, The Movie: the story of 4 (mature) women, their relationships, careers, motherhood and life in Manhattan. Slightly more of a female film, just slightly.

Having only ever seeing brief clips of the TV series, I didn't know quite what to expect. I didn't expect it to be particularly intellectual and mainly based around fashion - I was pretty much right. Their existence appears to revolve around their wardrobe.

The storyline focuses on Carrie and Big - will they get married? Miranda and divorce, Samantha and her attracttive neighbour, and Charlotte being a mum. At times the action got a bit tedious but it does focus on many different aspects of life, I guess that's good.

One of the features that REALLY annoyed me, was that for a film that heavily focuses on fashion, some of the clothes were horrible, really truly gross. I admit that I did like some items of clothing, and even though I doubt I'd ever wear most of the things that Carrie wears, I did really like some. But there were too many that were hideous. The major offensive item, for me, was the designer handbag that Carrie buys for her PA - it is not pretty. And that's why I just couldn't understand why the PA's face lit up at the sight of it. Probably just because it was designer.

This film has taught me that even if clothes cost loads, and have a respected designer: it doesn't make them nice.

However, I guess I enjoyed it on the whole as it is quite a fun and upbeat film most of the time, but I found it difficult to relate to the characters (having never seen a full episode from the series). Also, they were quite a lot older than me and so their problems vary greatly from mine.

Click here to see the IMDb page.

Click here to see the trailer.

Let me know what you think :)

Button Pom x

1 comment:

  1. Not exactly the greatest movie of all time... in fact, it's not even close...

    But, it's nice and trashy... and made me smile a little bit -----> :)
    I'll probably never watch it again... but I'm quite happy to say that I have seen it. :)

    Katee.

    ReplyDelete